Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Are you up for it?

This past week I had the opportunity to help out with our children's ministry and the lesson was on perseverance. When my wife and I were preparing for it I was trying to think of a good way to really explain it to them. I had tried to talk it over with my 5 year old son but he just was not getting it.
One of the main points in the lesson simply said "not giving up on something when things get hard." My part in the lesson was to tell a bible story about perseverance. And I have been doing a lot with the book of Job lately, so that's the story I told.

Job 1:1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil.v4 He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.

Think about that story, if you have not read it you need to. There is no greater story of someone persevering over great obstacles. He lost everything, not because of anything he did but because he was a holy and upright man. But because he still stuck it out and served God, God rewarded him and blessed him.

Are you able to do that? Go through something really crazy, that you don't think you deserve to go through and still serve an awesome loving God.

Are you able to do that?

And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.Luke 14:47

No comments:

Post a Comment